I help technical leaders and managers solve problems and seize opportunities. I teach, consult, speak, and write on managing high- technology product development. I enable managers, teams, and organizations to become more effective by applying pragmatic approaches to the issues of project management, risk management, and people management.
I publish The Pragmatic Manager
, a monthly email newsletter, and write two blogs: Managing Product Development
and Hiring Technical People
- Manage Your Project Portfolio: Increase Your Capacity and Finish More Projects
- Manage It! Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management
- Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management (with Esther Derby)
- Hiring the Best Knowledge Workers, Techies & Nerds: The Secrets and Science of Hiring Technical People
- Corrective Action for the Software Industry (with Denise Robitaille).Likes:
People who think their plans mean anything five minutes after they've made them.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."